Everyday Ambassador is a network of global citizens who believe that human connection, even in an increasingly digital world, is the key to lasting, positive social change.
The Problem: In a world where we’re more digitally connected than ever before, we’re all too often less humanly connected. We let social media and digital devices get in the way of real life conversations, and we start losing our skills for interpersonal interaction. This is particularly problematic for well-intentioned travelers and volunteers who, globally and locally, end up doing more harm than good in the places they aim to help. Often times, they forget to focus on cultivating strong relationships with the people who they aim to serve.
Our Mission: To create a cultural shift in the world of travel and volunteerism/service, so that good intentions are always translated into respectful social change efforts.
Our Vision: A world in which all travelers and volunteers approach the act of crossing borders–whether national, class, race, or otherwise–with attitudes of undistracted focus, empathy, patience, and humility towards diverse people they meet.
What is an Everyday Ambassador?
An everyday ambassador is someone striving to make the world a better place, whether globally or locally, and does so with a strong focus on respectful, responsible human connection. We reject terminology, like “saving” or “helping” others, and instead phrase our service in terms of two-way exchanges and mutual growth. We also, as a community, believe it’s important to unplug and digitally detox at least once a week in order to get back in touch with our capacity for human connection. In general, everyday ambassadors are self-aware, flexible, and culturally sensitive.
What do we do?
The Blog: The Everyday Ambassador blog and social media accounts constitute a platform for featuring everyday ambassadors around the globe and for providing resources to become an everyday ambassador. Check out our six weekly blog series!
- Field Notes Monday: Breaking global news, examined in the EA lens
- Weekly Passport Tuesday: The five hottest EA-related online reads of the week
- Wednesday Wisdom: Stories from travelers and volunteers around the globe
- Throwback Thursday: Shout-out former everyday ambassadors!
- Digital Detox Friday: Tips on disconnecting in order to reconnect
- Saturday Bucket List: Initiatives that can help you practice everyday ambassadorship
The Book: In early 2015, Everyday Ambassador: Creating Connections that Last in a Digitally Distracted World will be published by Beyond Words/Simon & Schuster. The book will be a resource for individuals and organizations who believe in the Everyday Ambassador mission, and it features the work of many everyday ambassadors already prominent in our network.
Partnerships: We partner up with amazing organizations and companies to provide our readers with opportunities, products, and resources that help them live the everyday ambassador lifestyle.
- Our experiential partners are travel and volunteer organizations who can help you get meaningfully engaged in the world.
- Our commercial partners produce ethical, responsibly-sourced products so your every purchase can be good for the planet.
- Our resource partners help us create materials like webinars, curricula, and educational videos to help you transform your classroom, workplace, organization, or life into one focused on human connection.